Gay marriage bill ‘opens door to abolition of adultery’
THE centuries-old concept of adultery could be abolished in law as a result of the Government’s plans for gay marriage, lawyers and MPs said last night.
Cheating in Parliament is everywhere. Can’t escape it. Fraudulent expenses claims, fake second homes, duck islands and all the rest of it. Frankly, all that dry financial information and dreary form-filling and regulation makes one yearn for the days when MPs were sullying the green benches with the results of their sexploits.
The prospective Conservative candidate Elizabeth Truss has reminded us of the whiff of moralising that still hangs over MPs and their doings. So to speak.
Selected as the candidate in the Norfolk South West constituency, Truss was presented as one of the new, young, female faces of the modern Tories. However, she has had a brush with infidelity that has raised hackles with the local party.
The association has refused to yield to pressure from Conservative high command and last week voted to deselect her as the candidate for the constituency. The accusation is not only that she was sleeping with a married man, but that she failed to mention it during the selection process.
There’s maybe a grain of sympathy to be had with the latter point – MPs are these days expected to be whiter-than-white. But really, the affair was public knowledge long before she was put up as a candidate and frankly if they didn’t look into her past they’ve only themselves to blame.
I think there’s something interesting in the way she’s being treated – and it’s typical of the double standards that are applied to women. She was unmarried when she had an involvement with Tory front-bencher Mark Field, 41. All the heat in the world is being brought to bear on her character, while he – who was the married party at the time of the affair – barely gets mentioned.
It seems that no-one minds that the opposition spokesperson on culture shags his researcher. But when she herself tries to get into the party, the drawbridges are drawn up and the blue rinses get sniffy.
People who are ready for a marital affair..
Follow us on Facebook
- AUDI BEATS BMW IN ADULTERY STAKES
- Court Rules London Mayor Boris Johnson’s Alleged Affair ‘In Public Interest’
- Whatever happened to Adultery?
- Is Monogamy No Longer Possible?
- THE GO BETWEEN
- For the latest updates, Follow us on Twitter @seriousadultery
- The Infidelity Epidemic
- Married surgeon, 66, ‘had affair with 39-year-old patient
- Virtual sex: The internet is inspiring a new type of literary love affair
- ‘My wife lets me have affairs’: One ‘happily’ married man defends unusual arrangement (which sees him juggling TEN other women)
- have you got a tale to tell about your adultery or affair?
- A woman scorned